Population: 155 in 1910
194 in 1920
Town incorporated: 1-30-1908
Post office: 5-15-1884 to present
Railroads: MJ&KC- NOM&C-
Next Town North- Anchor
Milepost 271.9 in 1905
Milepost 273.22 on valuation map
Next Town South- Mantee
HISTORY by Tony Howe:
Woodland existed as early as 1884 when a post office was established
here. The town had 3 stores by 1900.
In 1905-06, the railroad was built through here on its way from Pontotoc
to Houston, Ackerman and Louisville by the Gulf
& Chicago Railroad, which was controlled by the Mobile
Jackson & Kansas City RR until the two railroads merged on December
1, 1909 to form the New Orleans Mobile &
Chicago Railroad. This railroad was reorganized on January 1, 1917 to
become the Gulf Mobile & Northern Railroad.
This railroad, in turn, merged with the Mobile & Ohio on September 13,
1940 to form the Gulf Mobile & Ohio Railroad.
This railroad operated until it was merged with the Illinois Central
Railroad on August 10, 1972 to form Illinois Central Gulf RR. ICG received
permission to abandon the railroad from Woodland to Ackerman on December 14,
1981, and was officially abandoned on March 1, 1982. The remainder of the
former GM&O lines in Mississippi was sold off to the newly formed Gulf
& Mississippi Railroad on July 10, 1985, who abandoned the railroad from
Houston to Woodland shortly afterwards.
INDUSTRY (per Dun & Bradstreet)-
BUSINESSES (per R.G. Dun & Co.)-
J. W. Baily, general store 1900
Mrs. M. J. Flynn, general store 1900
J. A. McArthur, general store 1900