HISTORY by Tony Howe:
Anchor was located on the railroad after it was completed in 1905-6
through Pontotoc, Houston, Ackerman and Louisville by the Gulf
& Chicago Railroad, which was controlled by the Mobile
Jackson & Kansas City RR until the two railroads merged on December
1, 1909 to form the New Orleans Mobile &
Chicago Railroad. This railroad was reorganized on January 1, 1917 to
become the Gulf Mobile & Northern Railroad.
This railroad, in turn, merged with the Mobile & Ohio on September 13,
1940 to form the Gulf Mobile & Ohio Railroad.
This railroad operated until it was merged with the Illinois Central
Railroad on August 10, 1972 to form Illinois Central Gulf RR. ICG received
permission to abandon the railroad from Woodland to Ackerman on December 14,
1981, and was officially abandoned on March 1, 1982. The remainder of the
former GM&O lines in Mississippi was sold off to the newly formed Gulf
& Mississippi Railroad on July 10, 1985, who abandoned the railroad from
Houston to Woodland shortly afterwards.