Louise Lumber Co.

36" gauge, changed to standard gauge by 1912

Headquarters: Lexington KY

Mill Location: Hawkes, MS (Jones County)

Mill Capacity: 50,000 ft/day 

Years of Operation: 1912-1915

Miles Operated

Locomotives Owned: 1 known

See also: W. S. Carter




Click Map for Larger Version

History by Gil Hoffman:

On March 1, 1911, the Louise Lumber Company, of Kentucky, leased the sawmill plant of R. C. Carter, at Hawkes, MS, for a period not to exceed eight years. This mill had been operated by W. S. Carter. On June 14, 1911, the company bought the timber holdings and logging railroad of the W. S. Carter Lumber Company at Hawkes for $60,000. The sawmill, located six miles north of Laurel on the New Orleans & Northeastern Railroad, had a cutting capacity of 50,000 feet per day and employed about 300 men. The ownership was the same as the Poplarville Saw Mill Company, at Poplarville in Pearl River County. George W. Headley, of Lexington, KY, was president of both companies and served as general manager of the mill at Hawkes. The mill cut out in July 1915 and was dismantled.



















ROSTER by Gil Hoffman: 


2      2T Heisler     Heisler 1260      -1912      33      13x12      72000

Purchased new. Transferred to Poplarville Saw Mill Co. #2, Poplarville, MS, about 1916; to Lamb-Fish Lumber Co., Charleston, MS; to Turner-Farber-Love Co. #7, Charleston, MS, in 5-1923; to Santee River Hardwood Co. #7, St. Stephen, SC, in 1928; to Maggie Valley Amusement Corp., Maggie, NC (Highlander R.R. #2 "Old Cinders"), in 1962; to Maggie Valley R.R. #2 "Old Cinders," Maggie, NC, in 1964; to Whitewater Valley R.R. #2, Connersville, IN.





                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS           



For more information contact Tony Howe at tonyhowe76@yahoo.com or David S. Price at dsprice46@bellsouth.net