36" gauge, 25 and 30-lb rail
Mill Location: Erata (Hawkes), MS (Jones County)
Mill Capacity: 50,000 ft/day
Years of Operation: 1905-1911
Miles Operated: 7 1/2 miles in 1910
Locomotives Owned: 2 known
Click Map for Larger Version
by Gil Hoffman:
In July 1905 W. S. Carter purchased sawmill machinery from the Wheland
Company, of Chattanooga, for a new mill to be built near Erata, Jones
County. On October 25, 1905 R. C. Carter purchased the sawmill, logging
railroad and timber of the Erata Lumber Company and turned the property over
to his son, W. S. Carter. This mill was also at Erata. A part of the mill of
the Erata Lumber Company was used in Carter's new mill. The Carter mill had
a cutting capacity of 50,000 feet per day and contained a timber sizer. The
plant included dry kilns and a planing mill. Timber holdings were in Jones,
Jasper and Wayne counties.
In July 1910 Carter went into bankruptcy. The following year, January 1,
1911, R. C. Carter, owner of the property, leased the sawmill plant to W. M.
Carter for three years. This lease was assigned to the Merchants &
Manufacturers Bank, of Ellisville, on April 10, 1911. On June 14, 1911 the
Hawkes mill and its timber holdings were transferred to the Louise Lumber
Company, of Lexington, KY.
|ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:
4 Rod Porter
Purchased secondhand. In service by 3-1906.
5 2-6-0 National
226 3 -1876
Purchased from Southern Iron & Equipment Co. #467, Atlanta, GA, on
12-23-05. Cost $2,650.