West-King Lumber Co.

Standard gauge

Headquarters

Mill Location: West King, MS (Wayne County)

Mill Capacity: 0,000 ft/day 

Years of Operation: 1907-1909

Miles Operated: 11 miles

Locomotives Owned: 1 known

Equipment:

6 log cars

 

Click Map for Larger Version

History by Gil Hoffman:

The West-King Lumber Company was incorporated at Waynesboro, Wayne County, on December 16, 1905 by Lee West, R. W. Fagan and R. G. King, Jr., with authorized capital stock of $100,000. Officers were: Lee West, president, and R. G. King, Jr., secretary.

In the fall of 1907 the company began operating a new sawmill located six miles northwest of Waynesboro on the west side of the Chickasawhay River. The mill was connected by railroad to the Mobile & Ohio at West-King Junction, near Boyce.

On December 18, 1907, as a result of its inability to sell lumber for cash, the company went into receivership. E. F. Ballard, Cashier of the Bank of Waynesboro, was appointed receiver. On April 15, 1909, under judicial order, the plant and property were sold to the J. W. Odom Lumber Company.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ROSTER by Gil Hoffman: 

   

2?      2T Shay      Lima 422      1-1893      26      3-9x8      46000

Purchased from Eastman, Gardiner & Co. #52, Laurel, MS. Built as Eastman, Gardiner & Co. #2, Laurel, MS, renumb. #52. Sold to Waterford Lumber Co. #2, Waynesboro, MS, on 5-12-11; to Southern Iron & Equipment Co. #1512, Atlanta, GA, on 12-10-19; to Thistlethwaite Lumber Co. #3, Washington, LA, on 1-15-20, transferred to new operation at Opelousas, LA, on 8-25-24.

 

 

 

 

                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS           

 

 

For more information contact Tony Howe at tonyhowe76@yahoo.com or David S. Price at dsprice46@bellsouth.net