36" gauge, converted to standard Gauge in 1898
Headquarters: Tuskegee, AL
Years of Operation: 1869-1953
Predecessor Roads: none
Successor Roads: none
Miles Operated: Tuskegee to Chehaw, AL, 5.713 miles
2. Cars: 1 passenger, 1 baggage, etc., 2 box, 4 flat, 1 other.
2. Cars: 2 passenger, 1 baggage, etc., 3 box, 4 flat.
Click Map for Larger Version
HISTORY by Gil Hoffman:
The original Tuskegee
Rail Road Company was incorporated February 20, 1860, under special
act of the State of Alabama. The company built 5.73 miles of 60-inch gauge
railroad from Chehaw to Tuskegee, AL. It was operated until 1863 when it
was wrecked as a consequence of the Civil War and operations ceased.
On January 7,
1869, the property of the old company was sold at a sheriff’s sale to
William G. Swanson and others, who entered into an agreement with E. T.
Varner & Company, in February 1871, for a reconstruction of the
road between Chehaw and Tuskegee, and equipping It by January 1872. Upon
fulfillment of this agreement, the property would be transferred to the
Varner Company.. The agreement was fulfilled and the property transferred
to Varner on January 2, 1872. Afterwards the road was operated as a
partnership by E. T. Varner & Company under the name Tuskegee
Railroad Company until 1902, when transferred to a new company of the
same name. The partnership was composed of E. T. Varner, L. V. Alexander
and Campbell & Wright, each owning a third share.
The line built by E. T.
Varner & Company from Tuskegee to Chehaw was a 36-inch gauge railroad
laid on the right-of-way of the old Tuskegee Rail Road Company of 1860. The
gauge was broadened to standard in August 1898.
The Tuskegee Railroad
was incorporated in Alabama on October 8, 1902, for the purpose of
acquiring a railroad owned by E. T. Varner & Company, which was done on
October 18, 1902. The date of organization was October 8, 1902. Authorized
capital stock was $75,000, all ow which was issued. The main purpose of the
railroad was to facilitate entrance into the grounds of the Tuskegee Normal
& Industrial Institute.
The line extended from a
connection with the Western Railway of Alabama at Chehaw to the end of line
at Tuskegee, 5.713 miles. As originally built, the railroad was narrow
gauge, but was converted to standard in August 1898. The first two miles of
the line was in the valley of a small stream, but from there to its end, the
line rose on a broad plateau. The line was ballasted with cinders, gravel
Tuskegee 101 and combine.
Tuskegee 2-6-2 No. 101 and mixed train.
Tuskegee's wood divided "Jim Crow" combine.
|Narrow Gauge ROSTER by Gil
Standard Gauge ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:
HOME ABOUT US LINKS
For more information contact Tony Howe at firstname.lastname@example.org or David S. Price at email@example.com