HISTORY by Tony Howe:
Tollison was established as a station on the newly-completed railroad
about 1904. It was named for Marion F Tollison, a local landowner.
The railroad was completed in 1904-05
through Pontotoc, Houston, Ackerman and Louisville by the Gulf
& Chicago Railroad, which was controlled by the Mobile
Jackson & Kansas City RR until the two railroads merged on December
1, 1909 to form the New Orleans Mobile &
Chicago Railroad. This railroad was reorganized on January 1, 1917 to
become the Gulf Mobile & Northern Railroad.
This railroad, in turn, merged with the Mobile & Ohio on September 13,
1940 to form the Gulf Mobile & Ohio Railroad.
This railroad operated until it was merged with the Illinois Central
Railroad on August 10, 1972 to form Illinois Central Gulf RR. The remainder
of the former GM&O lines in Mississippi was sold off by ICG to the newly formed
Gulf & Mississippi Railroad on July 10, 1985. Gulf & Mississippi RR was
bought by Midsouth Rail on April 14, 1988, which was then bought by Kansas
City Southern RR in 1994. KCS continues to operate the line between Ackerman
and Newton today.
INDUSTRY (per Dun & Bradstreet)-