HISTORY by Tony Howe:
Major was the name given by the Mississippi Central Railroad to the
location of the Major-Sowers Saw Mill Co. It was about a half mile west of
the original Epley depot, but most of the town eventually moved closer to
the sawmill. The mainline of the Mississippi Central was rebuilt to
straighten curves and ease grades near Epley in 1915. The depot was moved to
a point just northwest of the sawmill at that time. The section of the old
mainline was removed east of the Major-Sowers Saw Mill Co. at that time, as
well, but all spurs to the mill remained in place until the closing of the
mill in the mid-1920's.
INDUSTRY- Major-Sowers Saw Mill Co.