Highland first appeared in the 1884 timetable as soon as the new railroad
opened with a 48-car siding. It was renamed to Lacey in the 7-31-1887
employee timetable after a post office was established by that name here two
months prior. The railroad renamed the point to Carriere, reportedly after a
family in New Orleans that was friends with the owners of the sawmill
located here. The timetable dated 5-3-1891 reflected the change in name, but
the post office wasn't renamed until 1903. The railroad siding was extended
to 80 cars in 1905 and again to 90 cars in 1912.