Red Creek Lumber Co.

Standard gauge, 35-lb rail

Headquarters: Carnes, MS

Mill Location: SW Carnes, MS (Forrest County)

Mill Capacity: 25,000 ft/day 

Years of Operation: 1916-1924

Miles Operated: 3 miles

Locomotives Owned: 1

Equipment:

 

Click Map for Larger Version

History by Gil Hoffman:

The Red Creek Lumber Company was incorporated at Carnes, Forrest County, on November 22, 1916, by J. B. Dorsett, J. L. Holleman and L. L. Magee, all of Wiggins, with authorized capital stock of $30,000. J. B. Dorsett was president. The sawmill had a daily cutting capacity of 25,000 feet, and was located about two miles south of the Columbia branch of the Gulf & Ship Island Railroad.

On June 1, 1919, in return for assuming its liabilities, the Red Creek Lumber Company sold its sawmill plant and timber to J. B. Dorsett, J. L. Holleman, Louis F. Batson and L. L. Magee.

 About July 1924, the sawmill cut out and the company moved to Riceville in Harrison County, changing its name to Holleman & Batson Lumber Company.

For a detailed history of this operation see: Steam Whistles in the Piney Woods Volume 2, by Gilbert H. Hoffman

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:   

 

 

Road No.

 

Type

 

Builder

 

C.N.

 

Date

 

Cyls.

 

Dri. Dia.

 

Engine

Wt.

 

Previous Ownership

 

Disposition

 

1

 

20-2

Shay

 

Lima

 

405

 

8/1892

 

3-9x8

 

26

 

46000

 

Morning Mining & Milling Co. #1, Mullan, ID

Fernwood Lumber Co. #4, Fernwood, MS

Red Creek Lumber Co. #1, in 1916.

 

Holleman & Batson Lumber Co. #1, Lyman, MS, in 1924.

 

 

 

 

 

                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS           

 

Hit Counter

 

For more information contact Tony Howe at howe6818@bellsouth.net or David S. Price at dsprice46@bellsouth.net