Pine Export Co. (1911-1918)

Pine Lumber Co. (1918-1923)

Standard gauge, 30 and 40-lb rail


Mill Location: Hovey, MS (Harrison County)

Mill Capacity: 60,000 ft/day

Years of Operation: 1911-1923

Miles Operated: 7.5 miles in 1911

Locomotives Owned: 5


2 locomotives and 16 cars in 1911

Click Map for Larger Version

History by Gil Hoffman and Tony Howe:

The Pine Export Company was incorporated at Gulfport, Harrison County, on June 7, 1911, by G. H. Hovey, of Gulfport and N. M. McInnis, of Saucier, with authorized capital stock of $250,000. On June 12, 1911, the company bought the sawmill plant, logging railroad and equipment of the Inda Pine Company, at Inda, Harrison County. Officers were G. H. Hovey, president, and N. M. McInnis, secretary. Hovey was the former secretary and treasurer of the Inda Pine Company. Immediately after the purchase, the Lott & Perkins sawmill was moved to the southern outskirts of Saucier, Harrison County. This location became known as Hovey. The cutting capacity of the mill, as rebuilt, was 60,000 feet per day. In September 1918, the name of the company was changed to Pine Lumber Company. The mill cut out in July 1923, and was dismantled. The mainline of Pine Lumber Co. was used by the G&SI to build the "Hines Extension" to connect with the Edward Hines Yellow Pine railroad in Hancock Co. in 1921. Pine Lumber Co. retained trackage rights over the railroad until they cut out in 1923.



















ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:

2              No Data                                                                                                                                                                

Purchased from Inda Pine Co. #2, Inda, MS, on 6-12-1911.


3              4-4-0                   Cooke                                                 12-1885                   62                    17x24                      72700

Purchased from Inda Pine Co. #3, Inda, MS, on 6-12-1911.

Built as Minnesota & Northwestern #13 or #15.

Traded to Southern Iron & Equipment Co. #952, Atlanta, GA, on 10-28-1912 as part payment on #4; to Flint River & Northeastern #6, Pelham, GA, on 1-26-1914.


4              2-6-0                   Lima                        1007                    7-1906                     36                    14x18                      59600

Purchased from Southern Iron & Equipment Co. #867, Atlanta, GA, on 10-28-1912.

Cost $3,600 with $1,800 allowed in trade on Cooke 4-4-0.

Built as Williamsburg Lumber Co. #4, Collins, MS; to Okatoma Saw Mill Co. #4, Collins, MS; to Southern Iron & Equipment Co. #867.

To Pine Lumber Co. #4, in 9-1918.

Sold to Georgia Car & Locomotive Co. #513, Atlanta, GA; to J. M. Griffin Lumber Co. #4, Holopaw, FL, on 3-29-1924.


5              2-6-0                   Schenectady         4111                    5-1893                     50                    18x24                     

Purchased from Southern Iron & Equipment Co. #1014, Atlanta, GA, on 11-29-1915. Cost $4,650.

Built as Union Stock Yards & Transit Co. #8 (an 0-6-0); to Southern Iron & Equipment Co. #1014. Converted to 2-6-0 by SI&E Co.






                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS           




For more information contact Tony Howe at or David S. Price at