Mill Location: Ovett, MS (Jones County)
Mill Capacity: 0,000 ft/day
Years of Operation: 1906-1912
Miles Operated: 2.5 miles in 1912
Locomotives Owned: 1
Click Map for Larger Version
by Gil Hoffman:
The Ovett Land & Lumber Company began operations at Ovett, Jones
County, in 1906. The company was composed of M. M. Hull, president, C. G.
Hull and M. M. Hull, Jr., all of St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana.
In the latter part of 1911 the mill was remodeled and reopened after
having been shut down for several months as a result of a timber dispute. At
that time the logging railroad was rebuilt and four new Kilby log cars were
The mill closed in October 1912 after which the Hulls established the St.
Tammany Lumber Manufacturing Company, with mill at Ramsay, Louisiana. The
logging equipment at Ovett was transferred to Ramsay, LA.