J. W. Odom Lumber Co.

Standard gauge, 40-lb rail

Headquarters

Mill Location: West King Jct., MS (Wayne County)

Mill Capacity: 0,000 ft/day 

Years of Operation: 1909-1911

Miles Operated: 3 miles

Locomotives Owned: 1 known

See also: West-King Lbr. Co.

Waterford Lumber Co.

Equipment:

6 log cars

 

Click Map for Larger Version

History by Gil Hoffman:

The J. W. Odom Lumber Company was incorporated at Waynesboro, Wayne County, on May 6, 1909 by J. W. Odom, of Waynesboro; C. L. Gray and R. P. Osler, both of Meridian, with authorized capital stock of $30,000. J. W. Odom purchased the sawmill and timber holdings of the West-King Lumber Company, at West-King Junction (near Boyce), on the Mobile & Ohio Railroad, at foreclosure sale and transferred these assets to the J. W. Odom Lumber Company on April 15, 1909.

Before organizing the J. W. Odom Lumber Company, J. W. Odom had been manager of the West-King Lumber Company. He died in New Orleans on February 20, 1910, after which his company went into receivership. On February 14, 1911 the assets were sold at foreclosure sale to J. A. McCain, of Meridian, who on May 12, 1911 deeded them to the newly formed Waterford Lumber Company.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ROSTER by Gil Hoffman: 

   

2?      2T Shay      Lima 422      1-1893      26      3-9x8      46000

Purchased from Eastman, Gardiner & Co. #52, Laurel, MS. Built as Eastman, Gardiner & Co. #2, Laurel, MS, renumb. #52. Sold to Waterford Lumber Co. #2, Waynesboro, MS, on 5-12-11; to Southern Iron & Equipment Co. #1512, Atlanta, GA, on 12-10-19; to Thistlethwaite Lumber Co. #3, Washington, LA, on 1-15-20, transferred to new operation at Opelousas, LA, on 8-25-24.

 

 

 

 

                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS           

 

 

For more information contact Tony Howe at tonyhowe76@yahoo.com or David S. Price at dsprice46@bellsouth.net