Oakdale & Gulf Railway (1916-1927)

Standard Gauge

Headquarters: Oakdale, LA

Years of Operation: 1916-1927

Predecessor Roads: 

Successor Roads: none

Miles Operated: Main line: Oakdale, LA to Wards, LA, 11.117 miles, later extended to Pine Prairie, 17.6 miles

Locomotives Owned: 

Equipment

6/30/1919: Locomotiives: 1. Cars: 1 caboose.

Click Map for Larger Version

HISTORY by Gil Hoffman:

The Oakdale & Gulf Railway was incorporated in Louisiana on February 7, 1916, with $10,000 in outstanding capital stock. It was chartered to haul freight only. The entire capital stock was held by stockholders of the Bowman-Hicks Lumber Company and the Forest Lumber Company in about equal proportions.

 The mainline extended from Oakdale, LA., where it connected with the Missouri Pacific and Jasper & Eastern, to Wards, LA., where it again connected with the Missouri Pacific, 11.73 miles. The railroad served the mills of its two owners at Oakdale, the mill of J. S. & W. M. Rice at Wards, LA, and the turpentine still of the Independent Naval Stores Company at Adams, 4 miles from Oakdale.

 The tracks of the O&G were originally built using leased rail by the lumber companies as facilities of their respective mills at Oakdale. The O&G commenced operations on May 17, 1916, leasing its main line and buildings, etc. for $12,000 per year for a period of 10 years. 

The line between Oakdale and Godwin, 4.29 miles, was built jointly by the Forest Lumber Company and the Bowman-Hicks Lumber Company in 1915-16, and was leased to the O&G on May 17, 1916. The rest of the line was built jointly by the two lumber companies in 1922, and operating rights granted to the O&G.

 In February 1922 the Rice sawmill at Wards discontinued operations after which traffic on the O&G ceased from that point. Permission to abandon operation of the line between Caney and Wards, 5.13 miles, was obtained from the ICC on October 13, 1923. This line had been unprofitable because the O&G had been prohibited by the ICC from receiving division of rates from the MP.

The Bowman-Hicks Lumber Company ceased operations in 1924 and the Forest Lumber Company discontinued sawmill operations in May 1927. Practically all of the tonnage hauled by the O&G consisted of forest products. Once the mill of the Forest Lumber Company cut out the line was without revenue. Consequently, application was made to the ICC on September 10, 1927 for permission to abandon operation of the line from Oakdale to Pine Prairie, LA, 17.6 miles, all in Allen and Evangeline parishes. Permission was granted on November 17, 1927.

 

REFERENCES

 1. “Oakdale & Gulf Railway Company,” Valuation Docket No. 471, Interstate Commerce Commission Reports, Vol. 110, p. 532-43.

2.  ”Oakdale & Gulf Railway Company,” Finance Docket No. 9024, Interstate Commerce Commission Reports, Vol. 58, p. 450-4.

3.        ”Abandonment of Operation of Line by Oakdale & Gulf Railway,” Finance Docket No. 2996, Interstate Commerce Commission Reports, Vol. 82, p. 450-2.

4.        ”Abandonment of Operation of Line by Oakdale & Gulf Railway,” Finance Docket No. 4281, Interstate Commerce Commission Reports, Vol. 94, p. 171-3.

5.        ”Abandonment of Operation of Line by Oakdale & Gulf Railway,” Finance Docket No. 6517, Interstate Commerce Commission Reports, Vol. 131, p. 484-5

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:

  

 

Road No.

 

Type

 

Builder

 

C.N.

 

Date

 

Cyls.

 

Dri. Dia.

 

Engine

Wt.

 

Previous Ownership

 

Disposition

 

100

 

2-6-0

 

Vulcan

 

2426

 

10/1915

 

17x24

 

50

 

100000

 

Ordered by Serbian Government.

Cancelled & resold to:

Oakdale & Gulf #100, in 1/1916.

Cost $10,000.

 

Hillyer-Edwards-Fuller, Inc. #102, Ansley, LA

 

 

 

 

 

                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS           

 

Hit Counter

 

For more information contact Tony Howe at howe6818@bellsouth.net or David S. Price at dsprice46@bellsouth.net