J. R. Nevers & Co. (1899-1903)

Elsemore Lumber Co. (1903-1905)

Standard gauge, 30 and 40-lb rail

Headquarters

Mill Location: Saucier, MS (Harrison County)

Mill Capacity: 75,000 ft/day

Years of Operation: 1899-1905

Miles Operated: 7 miles in 1906

Locomotives Owned: 2?

Equipment:

 

Click Map for Larger Version

History by Gil Hoffman:

J. R. Nevers & Company was a partnership in existence by October 1899, operating a sawmill that cut 75,000 feet per day of longleaf yellow pine. The manager was J. R. Nevers. The mill cut for both the interior and export markets. A logging railroad was built in 1899.

 On June 8, 1903 the sawmill plant, logging railroad and equipment and timber land were sold for $80,781.60 to the Elsemore Lumber Company, a co-partnership composed of Fred Herrick and M. L. Elsemore. The entire plant was sold to the Scotch Lumber Company, of Fulton, AL, in March 1905 and the equipment moved to Fulton, AL.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:

2              4-4-0                                                                           56                15x22              48000

Purchased from Smith & Kilby Co., Anniston, AL (dealer), on 1-11-02.

To Elsemore Lumber Co., on 6-8-03.

Sold to Scotch Lumber Co. 1st #3, Fulton, AL, in 3-1905.

 

 

 

 

 

                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS           

 

Hit Counter

 

For more information contact Tony Howe at howe6818@bellsouth.net or David S. Price at dsprice46@bellsouth.net