Standard gauge, 30-lb rail
Headquarters: Hattiesburg (Monarch Lbr)
Richton (Beaver Dam Lbr)
Mill Location: Monarch (Earl), MS (Jones County)
Mill Capacity: 40,000 ft/day
Years of Operation: 1906-1915
Miles Operated: 5 miles
Locomotives Owned: 2
See also: Monarch
Lumber Co (2nd)
8 log cars
Click Map for Larger Version
by Gil Hoffman:
The Monarch Lumber Company was incorporated at Hattiesburg, Perry County,
on April 16, 1906 by B. D. Moore, W. W. Beatty and others with authorized
capital stock of $40,000. B. D. Moore was president and H. F. Hagerty,
secretary and treasurer. On January 15, 1906 Moore and Beatty bought 760
acres of timber, including a mill site, at Monarch, about three miles
northwest of Ovett. A sawmill and planing mill were built on this site,
adjacent to the Mobile, Jackson & Kansas City Railroad. A logging
railroad was also constructed from the mill to the timber.
On August 10, 1909 the sawmill, logging railroad and 760 acres of timber
land were sold to the Beaver Dam Lumber Company, for $12,750. The Beaver Dam
Lumber Company began in 1902 at Richton, Perry County as a partnership
composed of W. G. Lancaster and D. W. Slay. The company was incorporated on
January 23, 1911 at Earl, Jones County, by W. G. Lancaster, D. M. Eubanks,
D. W. Slay and George T. Dennis with authorized capital stock of $100,000.
The mill at Monarch (also known as Earl) had a cutting capacity of 40,000
feet per day.
On August 18, 1910, to supplement the meager timber bought from the
Monarch Lumber Company, the company bought 2,420 acres of land from J. H.
Moores, of Lansing, Michigan, for $60,000. This timber extended westward
from the mill for about three miles. On September 15, 1911 the company sold
the land obtained from Moores and the Monarch Lumber Company to the Richton
Land Development Company, reserving a five year lease on the mill site and
right of way over the land. Since the right of way was reserved, the
implication is that the company also reserved the timber rights, although
not stated as such in the deed.
Lancaster became practically sole owner of the company in December 1914
when he bought the interest of D. W. Slay. In April 1915 the mill closed for
an indefinite period, during which W. G. Lancaster went into the stock
raising business at Ovett, Miss. About June 1915 the mill burned. On July
28, 1915 Lancaster boought back the land he had sold to the Richton Land
Development Company in 1911. The following year, 1916, the mill was rebuilt
and operated for several years as the Monarch Lumber
|ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:
1 No data
Purchased secondhand by Monarch Lumber Co. To Beaver Dam Lumber Co., on
2 2T Heisler Heisler
33 13x12 72000
Purchased new. Sold to DeWeese-Rodgers Lumber Co. #2, Philadelphia, MS;
to DeWeese-Gammill Lumber Co. #2, Philadelphia, MS, in 10-1921; to A.
DeWeese Lumber Co. #2, Philadelphia, MS, in 2-1923.