Elk Lumber Co. (1914-1915)

Stillwell-Crosby Lumber Co.(1915-1917)

Mississippi Soft Pine Co. (1917-1921)

Standard gauge, 56-lb rail

Headquarters

Mill Location: Canton, MS (Madison County)

Mill Capacity: 150,000 ft/day in 1917

Years of Operation: 1914-1921

Miles Operated: 15 miles in 1917

Locomotives Owned

Other Equipment:

 

 

Click Map for Larger Version

History by Gil Hoffman:

The Elk Lumber Company, a subsidiary of the Crosby-Bonds Lumber Company of Brookhaven, MS, was granted a charter by the Governor of Mississippi on January 12, 1912. Its mill was constructed in the northeast section of Canton, Madison County, in 1914 and began sawing in August of that same year. The cutting capacity was 75,000 feet in ten hours and the cut was shortleaf pine. Officers of the company were L. O. Crosby, president, and Sam W. Hoskins, secretary. The original manager was A. B. Connally of the Crosby-Bonds Lumber Company.

 On August 18, 1915 approval was granted by Governor Brewer for the name to be changed to the Stillwell-Crosby Lumber Company and the capital stock increased from $80,000 to $200,000. The stockholders of the old company had approved these changes on March 10, 1915.

 In May 1917 the name was again changed to Mississippi Soft Pine Company reflecting a complete change in the stockholders. Capital stock was also increased from $200,000 to $350,000. The cutting capacity of the sawmill under Mississippi Soft Pine ownership was 150,000 feet per day. The principal stockholders were Stewart and Anthon Gammill, of Jackson.

 On February 23, 1921 the entire operation was sold to the Pearl River Valley Lumber Company, owned by F. C. Denkmann and associates, of Roch Island, IL.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ROSTER by Gil Hoffman: 

(a)                  2-6-0 IC Shops      ---  9-1886 56     18x24         96000

 

                Purchased by Crosby-Bonds Lumber Co. from Illinois Central #1703, in 4-1914.

                      Built as Illinois Central #240, renumb. #703 in 1890, renumb. #1703 in 5-1903.

                      To Stillwell-Crosby Lumber Co., in 8-1915.

                      To Mississippi Soft Pine Co., in 5-1917.

                Transferred to Gammill Lumber Co., Pelahatchie, MS; to Southern Iron & Equipment Co. #1209, Atlanta, GA; to Central   Santo Tomas #8, Cuba, on 5-31-18.

 

4                    2-8-2  Baldwin      36756      8-1911 44     16x22         85000

 

                Acquired by Mississippi Soft Pine Co. from Gammill Lumber Co. #4, Pelahatchie, MS, by 7-1917.

                      Built as Lockwood Lumber Co. #4, Pelahatchie, MS (a 2-8-0); to Gammill Lumber Co. #4, Pelahatchie, MS, on 4-10-12,   changed to 2-8-2 in 4-1912.

                      Sold to Southern Iron & Equipment Co. #1355, Atlanta, GA; to Lutcher & Moore Cypress Lumber Co., Lutcher, LA, on    11-11-18.

                Baldwin class 10-26 E 336

 

 

 

 

 

7                    2T Shay Lima       1671 2-1906   28     3-10x10         66000

 

                Purchased by Mississippi Soft Pine Co. from A. Marx & Sons, New Orleans, LA (dealer).

                      Built as Porter-Wadley Lumber Co. #3, Cotton Valley, LA (Dorcheat Valley R.R.); to Bayou Blue Lumber Co., Hutchinson, LA, in 1915; to A. Marx & Sons, New Orleans, LA, in 1918.

                      Sold to Pearl River Valley Lumber Co. #7, Canton, MS, on 2-23-21; to Apollonia Lumber Co. #7, Pelahatchie, MS, about            8-1924. Scrapped at Canton, MS, about 2-1929.

 

12                  2T Shay Lima       2287 2-1910   29  3-10x12         84000

 

                Acquired by Mississippi Soft Pine Co. from Gammill Lumber Co. #12, Pelahatchie, MS.

                      Built as Conner Lumber Co. #12, Seminary, MS; to A. Marx & Sons, New Orleans, LA, in 1913; to Carruth Brothers Lumber Co. #12, Coral, MS, on 10-15-13; to A. Marx & Sons, New Orleans, LA,

                      on 3-31-14; to Gammill Lumber Co. #12, Pelahatchie, MS.

                      Sold to Pearl River Valley Lumber Co. #12, Canton, MS, on 2-23-21; to Apollonia Lumber Co. #12, Pelahatchie, MS, about 8-1924; returned to Pearl River Valley Lumber Co. #12, about 5-1925; loaned to Marietta Lumber Co. #12, Burnside, MS, about 3-1929; returned to Pearl River Valley Lumber Co. #12, Canton, MS; to Denkmann Lumber Co.   #12, Canton, MS, on 9-1-38. Scrapped in 1942.

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS           

 

 

For more information contact Tony Howe at tonyhowe76@yahoo.com or David S. Price at dsprice46@bellsouth.net