Mississippi Central Railway

5' gauge, converted to Standard Gauge in 1881

Headquarters

Years of Operation: 1855-1874

Predecessor Roads:  none

Successor Roads: Chicago, St. Louis & New Orleans

Miles Operated:  

Route: Canton, MS to Jackson, TN

Locomotives Owned: 

Equipment

 

 

Click Map for Larger Version

The Mississippi Central Railway was chartered in the spring of 1852.  Ground was broken at Holly Springs on November 16, 1853.  The railroad was consolidated in 1859 with the Mississippi Central and Tennessee (built from Jackson, TN to Grand Junction, TN) under the Mississippi Central name.  The Mississippi Central was completed in 1860 from Canton to the Tennessee line. The railroad was thereafter operated as one line in conjunction with the New Orleans, Jackson and Great Northern.  The Mississippi Central was consolidated in 1874 into the New Orleans, St. Louis & Chicago. 

Note: There was also a railroad known as the Mississippi Central Railroad operated from Hattiesburg to Natchez 1904-1967 that was not affiliated with the much earlier Mississippi Central Railway described here.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS           

 

 

 

For more information contact Tony Howe at howe6818@bellsouth.net or David S. Price at dsprice46@bellsouth.net

All content on Mississippi Rails website is copyrighted by us or the individual or institution noted on the image or accompanying text. Please contact us below for permission to use any image or information contained on this website. Mississippi Rails is not affiliated with any railroad. 

2009 Mississippi Rails