by Gil Hoffman and Tony Howe:
Mill Creek & Little River Railway & Navigation Company was
controlled by the stockholders of the Little River Lumber Company,
which furnished the entire traffic for the railroad. The two companies were
one and the same and there was no outside traffic. The country traversed was
hilly with very few settlers. The sawmill of the lumber company was at
Manistee, LA, on the railroad about 3 miles from the junction with the Iron
Mountain. This junction was known as Bryant’s Spur. Manistee was purely a
mill town with a company store and about 300 inhabitants in 1910. The
construction of the railroad was begun in August 1905 by the lumber company,
and about 6 miles were built in the first year. The railroad company was
incorporated in November 1905 but did not take title to the property until
intention of the lumber company seems to have been to acquire barges or
other floating equipment and thus to move lumber on the Little River. This
intention was expressed in the corporate title of the railroad company, but
nothing came of this.
1906 Official Guide entry lists the railroad as running from Bryant, La. to
Manistee to Sulphur Springs, 11 miles.
1910 there were 10 miles of incorporated track, lightly constructed with
35-lb. rail, of which 8 miles was on land owned by the lumber company. The
lumber company also had several miles of unincorporated logging spurs, the
rails of which were owned by the railroad company. In 1910 the equipment
consisted of 2 locomotives and 12 log cars.
July 29, 1912, the sawmill was destroyed by fire and not rebuilt. The lumber
company went out of business by September 1912.
Lumber company also had a sawmill and logging railroad at Selma, Louisiana.