Meadows Lumber Co.

Standard gauge, 25-lb rail


Mill Location: Cortelyou (Harmon), MS (Lamar County)

Mill Capacity: 0,000 ft/day 

Years of Operation: 1907-1908

Miles Operated: 3 miles

Locomotives Owned: 1




Click Map for Larger Version

History by Gil Hoffman:

The Meadows Lumber Company was incorporated at Purvis, Lamar County, on March 4, 1907, by J. W. Meadows, B. S. Long, both of Purvis, and W. B. Young, of McHenry, Harrison County, with authorized capital stock of $30,000. On February 18, 1907, the company bought 720 acres of timberland in southeastern Lamar County from McLeod & Company, for $14,400. A sawmill was built on the New Orleans & Northeastern at Courtelyou (later known as Harmon), about four miles south of Purvis on a portion of the McLeod & Company tract. 

On April 9, 1908 the sawmill, tram road and timber were sold to the Pole Stock Lumber Company, of Hattiesburg, Perry County. On December 27, 1909, the Pole Stock Lumber Company sold 880 acres of land, including the mill site, to Dr. C. C. Bass, with the provision that Dr. Bass lease the mill site to the company for three years.

For a detailed history of this operation see: Steam Whistles in the Piney Woods Volume 2, by Gilbert H. Hoffman



















ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:   



Road No.












Dri. Dia.





Previous Ownership





















W. B. Seymour, Hattiesburg, MS (dealer)

Meadows Lumber Co., ca. 10/1907.


Pole Stock Lumber Co., Harmon, MS,

on 4/9/1908.






                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS           




For more information contact Tony Howe at or David S. Price at