Marietta Lumber Co.

Standard gauge, 56-lb rail

Headquarters: Delaware

Mill Location: Burnside, MS (Neshoba County)

Mill Capacity: 0,000 ft/day 

Years of Operation: 1928-1932

Miles Operated: 15 miles

Locomotives Owned

Other Equipment:

See also:

J. M. Griffin Lumber Co.

Reynolds-West Lumber Co.

Pearl River Valley Lumber Co.

Canton & Carthage RR

 

Click Map for Larger Version

 

History by Gil Hoffman:

The Marietta Lumber Company was incorporated in Delaware, and about March 1921 purchased the property of the Central Mississippi Lumber Company which included some 300,000,000 feet of timber. The Marietta Lumber Company was affiliated with the Pearl River Valley Lumber Company, of Canton, MS, and the Apollonia Lumber Company, of Pelahatchie, MS, all of which were owned by the Denkmann interests of Rock Island, Illinois. In early 1928 the Marietta Lumber Company acquired the sawmill and timber holdings of the Reynolds-West Lumber Company, at Burnside, Neshoba County.

 The logging railroad, extending westerly from Burnside, was completed to Edinburg, 15 miles in mid 1929. On February 27, 1929, with permission from the Interstate Commerce Commission, the Marietta Lumber Company gave the Canton & Carthage Railroad trackage rights over its railroad from Edinburg to Burnside. At Edinburg this line connected with the railroad of the Peal River Valley Lumber Company, which was completed to that point in July 1929.

 In December 1932 the mill of the Marietta Lumber Company ceased operations and was later damaged by fire. On December 11, 1933 the Canton & Carthage placed an embargo against shipments over the line between Edinburg and Burnside because it had not been properly maintained from the time the mill shut down and had become unsafe. On January 1, 1935 the Canton & Carthage gave notice of its desire to terminate trackage rights over the Burnside-Edinburg line and was given permission for discontinuance from the I. C. C. on November 25, 1935.

 Not until March 1, 1935 did the Marietta Lumber Company obtain title to the property of the Reynolds-West Lumber Company from the trustee, the Louisiana Savings Bank & Trust Company. The amount paid was $241,000.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ROSTER by Gil Hoffman: 

 

3                    3T Shay                    Lima                3182           7-1922      32     3-11x12             134100       

 

                      Purchased from Reynolds-West Lumber Co. #3, Burnside, MS, in 1928.

                      Built as J. M. Griffin Lumber Co. #3 "J. M. II", Burnside, MS; to Reynolds-West Lumber Co. #3, Burnside, MS, on 8-16-                  23.

                      Transferred to Pearl River Valley Lumber Co. #3, Canton, MS, by 2-1930, renumb. #10; to Denkmann Lumber Co. #10,          Canton, MS, on 9-1-38; to King Lumber Industries #10, Canton, MS, on 1-1-46.

                      Scrapped 1951.

 

4                    2-6-2                    Baldwin              42137           6-1915      44     17x24                 128500       

 

                      Purchased from Reynolds-West Lumber Co. #4, Burnside, MS, in 1928.

                      May have been renumb. #14.

                      Built as Mine La Motte Co. #3, Mine La Motte, MO; to Birmingham Rail & Locomotive Co., Birmingham, AL; to New Deemer Manufacturing Co. #4, Deemer, MS, on 6-28-23; to Adams-Newell Lumber Co. #4, Deemer, MS, on 5-31-24;   to Birmingham Rail & Locomotive Co., Birmingham, Ala.; to Reynolds-West Lumber Co. #4, Burnside, MS, on 7-1-25.

                      Scrapped by Marietta Lumber Co.

                      Baldwin class 10-28 D 55

 

9                    2T Shay                    Lima                2744         12-1913      29    3-10x12           84000       

 

                      Purchased from Reynolds-West Lumber Co. #9, Burnside, MS, in 1928.

                      Built as Culbreath & Smith #9, Onalaska, TX; to West Lumber Co. #9,

                      Onalaska, TX; to Southern Iron & Equipment Co. #1718, Atlanta, GA, on 12-16-21; to J. M. Griffin Lumber Co. #1, Burnside, MS, on 7-7-22, renumb. #9; to Reynolds-West Lumber Co. #9, Burnside, MS, on 8-16-23.

                      Scrapped by Marietta Lumber Co., in 1935.

 

12                  2T Shay                    Lima                2287           2-1910      29    3-10x12           84000       

 

                      Borrowed from Pearl River Valley Lumber Co. #12, Canton, MS, about 3-1929.

                      Built as Conner Lumber Co. #12, Seminary, MS; to A. Marx & Son, New Orleans, LA (dealer), in 1913; to Carruth   Brothers Lumber Co. #12, Coral, MS, on 10-15-13; to A. Marx & Sons, New Orleans, LA, on

                      3-31-14; to Gammill Lumber Co. #12, Pelahatchie, MS; to Mississippi Soft Pine Co. #12, Canton, MS; to Pearl River Valley Lumber Co. #12, Canton, MS, on 2-23-21; to Apollonia Lumber Co. #12, Pelahatchie, MS, in 8-1924; returned  to Pearl River Valley Lumber Co. #12, Canton, MS, in 5-1925.

                      Returned to Pearl River Valley Lumber Co. #12, Canton, MS; to Denkmann Lumber Co. #12, Canton, MS, on 9-1-38.  Scrapped 1942.

 

 

 

 

 

                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS           

 

 

For more information contact Tony Howe at tonyhowe76@yahoo.com or David S. Price at dsprice46@bellsouth.net