Meridian & Bigbee River Railroad (1926-1952)

Meridian & Bigbee Railroad (1952-present)

Standard Gauge

Headquarters: Meridian, MS (Lauderdale Co.)

Years of Operation: 1926-present

Predecessor Roads: Meridian & Deep Water

Successor Roads: Meridian & Bigbee Railroad

Miles Operated: 51

Locomotives Owned: 

Equipment:

 

 

Click Map for Larger Version

History by Tony Howe:

A local businessman, Sam Neville, incorporated the Meridian & Deep Water Railway on April 5, 1911. After grading the first few miles, the project was abandoned and Neville focused his attention on building the Meridian & Memphis. Several years later the Meridian & Bigbee River Railroad was incorporated on January 23, 1917, by Sam Neville and associates. Finally construction started on Dec. 24, 1926 and was put into operation from Meridian southeast to a connection with the Alabama Tennessee & Northern at Cromwell, Ala., 29.87 miles, on April 16, 1928. The final eastward extension to a connection with the L&N at Myrtlewood was completed on October 15, 1935. The railroad was reorganized as the Meridian & Bigbee in July 1952. The M&B was later owned by James River Corp., owners of the large paper mill built on the M&B at Naheola, AL in 1958. The M&B was sold to the Genessee & Wyoming group of shortlines in the last few years, and bought the former L&N trackage from Myrtlewood to near Montgomery from CSX. 

M&BR 4-6-0 Number 52 abandoned at Meridian on February 18, 1935.

 

 

M&BR 474 was an ex-Illinois Central 2-6-0 and is seen here switching at Meridian in the mid-1930's.

M&BR 125 at Meridian in September 1940.

M&BR caboose Number 1 at Meridian on December 26, 1949.

Mogul 3729 was another ex-IC locomotive. It sits outside the M&BR shops at Meridian in December 1949.

A view of the M&BR mainline several miles outside of Meridian shortly after the line was built in the 1920's.

M&BR 125 at Meridian was an ex-Western Ry of Alabama locomotive.

M&BR Number 235 unused at Meridian.

This depot sat at the M&BR crossing with the AT&N at Cromwell, Alabama. The diamond had been removed just a few years before this photo was made in 1994.

Joint M&BR-AT&N depot at Cromwell in September 1994.

M&B's first diesel, GP-7 #1 at Meridian about 1958.

The crew of M&B 1 has doors propped open to help cool the cab about 1958. 

M&B 1 and 102 about 1958.

M&B 1 on a freight about 1958.

An M&B transfer run passes under 22nd Ave and by a busy GM&O freighthouse in 1957. Note the horse-drawn wagon above the second engine.

M&B caboose 107 in its original form.

M&B caboose 107 as rebuilt with steel sides.

2-8-0 #991 and caboose at Meridian in 1949 was one of Parker's first train photos.

2056 doubleheads with a second locomotive about 1949.

3729 and 119 on a transfer run to the Southern-IC yard pass the Swift Oil Mill at the south end of GM&O's yard in 1952.

2056 and 3729 doubleheading at Meridian about 1952.

ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:

1              2-6-0                   Baldwin                  11225                  9-1890                      52                19x24                      98690

Purchased from Jackson & Eastern Ry. #1, in 1926.

Built as New Orleans & Northeastern #243; to Meridian & Memphis Ry. #1, on 2-18-1913; to Jackson & Eastern Ry. #1.

Dropped from service by 1931.

Baldwin class 8-32 D 399

 

18            4-4-0                   NC&StL                 ----                       -1882                       66                    17x24                      82500

Purchased from Jackson & Eastern Ry. #18, in 1926.

Built as U. S. Military R.R. #?; to Nashville & Chattanooga #58; to Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis #58 in 1873, rebuilt by NC&STL in 1882 (a Cullen engine), renumb. #18 in 1915; to Georgia Car & Locomotive Co. #416, Atlanta, GA, on 6-1-1919; to Jackson & Eastern Ry. #18, on 7-19-1919.

Dropped from service by 1931.

 

52            4-6-0                   Pittsburgh                                         -1893                       57                    18x24                      95800

Purchased from Jackson & Eastern Ry. #52, in 1926.

Dropped from service by 1935.

 

55            4-6-0                   Rogers                                               -1895                       55                    18x24                      95200

Purchased from Jackson & Eastern Ry. #55, in 1926.

 

235          2-6-0                   Baldwin                  7439                    9-1884                     52                 19x24                      94700

Purchased from Jackson & Eastern Ry. #235, in 1926.

Built as New Orleans & Northeastern #226, rebuilt in 1903, renumb. #235 by 6-1910; to Jackson & Eastern Ry. #235, on 4-29-1917.

Dropped from service by 1931.

Baldwin class 8-32 D 86

 

421          2-6-0                   Rogers                   4785                    11-1892                   56                 19x26                      126000

Purchased from Illinois Central #421, in 9-1930.

Dropped from service in 1937.

 

125          4-6-0                   ALCO-Rogers       43022                  3-1907                     61                    21x28                      180000

Purchased from Western Railway of Alabama #125, in 1936.

Scrapped 1950.

 

469          2-6-0                   Rogers                   5078                    11-1895                   56                 19x26                      126000

Purchased from Illinois Central #469, on 12-15-1936.

Dropped from service about 1940.

 

474          2-6-0                   Brooks                   2603                    11-1895                   56                 19x26                      126000

Purchased from Illinois Central #474, on 12-15-1936.

Dropped from service about 1940. 


991          2-8-0                   Baldwin                  36178                  3-1911                     63                    22x30                      238200

Purchased from Illinois Central #991, on 9-27-1939. Cost $5,000.

Scrapped 1950.

Baldwin class 10-38 E 3578

 

668          2-8-0                   Rogers                   5781                    7-1902                     57                 20x28                      199210

Purchased from Illinois Central #668, on 12-28-1940. Cost $4,600.

Dropped from service in 1946.

 

3729        2-6-0                   Pittsburgh             2293                    8-1901                     53                 20x28                   167200

Purchased from Illinois Central #3729, on 10-2-1941.

Built as Illinois Central #570, renumb. #3729 on 9-7-1937.

To Meridian & Bigbee #3729, in 7-1952.

Scrapped 1953.

 

116          2-8-0                   Baldwin                  44835                  1-1917                     51                    23x28                      211500

Purchased from Susquehanna & New York #116, in 2-1943.

To Meridian & Bigbee #116, in 7-1952.

Donated to City of Meridian, MS, in 5-1953 (for display).

Baldwin class 10-40 E 176

 

2056        4-6-2                   ALCO-Rich.          53215                  3-1913                     75                 25x26                      247500

Purchased from Illinois Central #2056, on 1-8-1946.

Built as Illinois Central #1133, renumb. #2056 on 12-30-1941.

To Meridian & Bigbee #2056, in 7-1952.

Scrapped 1953.

 

 

 

 

 

                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS           

 

 

 

For more information contact Tony Howe at howe6818@bellsouth.net or David S. Price at dsprice46@bellsouth.net

All content on Mississippi Rails website is copyrighted by us or the individual or institution noted on the image or accompanying text. Please contact us below for permission to use any image or information contained on this website. Mississippi Rails is not affiliated with any railroad. 

2009 Mississippi Rails