Louisiana & North West Railroad
Headquarters: Gibsland, later Homer, LA
Years of Operation: 1890-present
Predecessor Roads: Louisiana North & South Ry
Successor Roads: none
Miles Operated: Main line:
Magnolia, AR to Natchitoches, LA, 114.7 miles; leased (St. Louis
Southwestern Ry. — Magnolia to McNBeil, AR), 6.40 miles — total,
Locomotives: 2. Cars: 2 passenger.
Locomotives: 5. Cars: 2 passenger, 2 baggage, etc., 16 flat, 1 caboose.
Locomotives: 9. Cars: 5 passenger, 2 combination, 2 baggage, etc., 41 box,
29 flat, 22 service.
Locomotives: 9. Cars: 3 passenger, 2 combination, 3 baggage, etc., 23 box,
6 flat, 2 caboose, 24 service.
Click Map for Larger Version
HISTORY by Gil Hoffman:
Chartered as the Louisiana
North & South Railroad on November 28, 1885. Road completed from
Gibsland, LA to Homer, LA, 20 miles, toward the end of 1887 and opened for
business on March 1, 1888. The extension from Gibsland to Bienville, LA was
completed in 1889 and opened January 1, 1889. The road was constructed by J.
D. Beardsley, contractor. Owing to a defective charter, the road was in 1889
as the Louisiana & North West Railroad and the property of the
old company conveyed to the new on January 21, 1890. At the time of the new
charter, the railroad was controlled by J. D. Beardsley through ownership of
a majority of the capital stock. Authorized capital stock was $2,900,000.
The line from
Homer, La to Magnolia, AR, 35.70 miles, was built during 1897-98; from
Bienville to Lucky, LA, 7.50 miles, during 1900-01; from Lucky to Saline,
LA, 5.50 miles, during 1901-04; from Saline to Natchitoches, LA, 30.20
miles, during 1901-05, and in Natchitoches, 0/30 miles, during 1912. The
total mileage of this construction was 79.20 miles. The line between Homer,
LA and Magnolia, AR and between Bienville, LA and Natchitoches, LA were
constructed under contract by J. D. Beardsley.The Magnola Branch of the St.
Louis Southwestern Ry., from Magnolia to McNeil, AR, 6.40 miles, was leased
for 20 years from August 1, 1898, at a rental of $3,980 per year.
The railroad had
joint use of the passenger station at Gibsland, LA, owned by the Vicksburg,
Shreveport & Pacific. Interchange
connections were with the Louisiana & Arkansas at Chestnut, LA; with
Louisiana Railway & Navigation Co., at Hagen, LA; with the North
Louisiana & Gulf at Bienville, LA; with the St. Louis Southwestern Ry.,
at McNeil, AR; the Texas & Pacific at Natchitoches, LA, and the
Vicksburg, Shreveport & Pacific at Gibsland, LA.
The country traversed
was gently rolling with some flat stretches. The most imortant bridge on the
road was across the Red River. This bridge was 525 feet in length.
The United States
District Court at New Orleans, on August 23, 1913, appointed George W.
Hunter as receiver on application of the Baldwin Locomotive Works and other
& North West Railroad Company,” Valuation Docket No. 697, Interstate
Commerce Commission Reports, Vol. 135, p. 849-880.
|STEAM ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:
HOME ABOUT US LINKS
For more information contact Tony Howe at email@example.com or David S. Price at firstname.lastname@example.org