by Gil Hoffman:
Lockwood Lumber Company was incorporated at Pelahatchie, Rankin County, on
October 31, 1907, by G. L. Ross, J. L. Ross and J. E. Thornton, all of
Pelahatchie, with authorized capital stock of $100,000. The organization of
the company was never reported to the Secretary of State, and as a result
the incorporation was invalid. The company thus operated as a partnership,
with John and Henry Lockwood, of Ruston, LA, as the major partners. A
sawmill with a cutting capacity of 75,000 feet per day was built at
Pelahatchie, which included a planing mill and dry kilns. In the summer of
1908 an unincorporated logging railroad, known as the Mississippi Railway,
was constructed northward from the mill.
April 10, 1912, the holdings of the Lockwood Lumber Company were transferred
to the Gammill Lumber Company, a new corporation composed of many of the
same people as the old partnership. As part of the deal, the Gammill Lumber
Company assumed the debts of the partnership.
|ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:
Purchased from Kilby Locomotive & Machine Works, Anniston,
AL, on 8-1-10.
to Smith-Payne Lumber Co. #212, Hiwannee, MS, in 1912; to Brown Lumber Co.
#212, Hiwannee, MS, on 3-20-13; to Southern Iron & Equipment Co. #949,
8-10-13; to Emporia Manufacturing Co. #9, Emporia, VA, on 9-27-13.
new. Lettered "Mississippi Railway" Cost $9,150.
to Gammill Lumber Co. #4, Pelahatchie, MS, on 4-10-12, changed to 2-8-2,
Baldwin XO-3331, 4-12-12; to Mississippi Soft Pine Co. #4, Canton, MS, by
7-1917; to Southern Iron & Equipment Co. #1355, Atlanta, GA; to
Lutcher & Moore Cypress Lumber Co., Lutcher, LA, on 11-11-18.
class 10-26 E 336
2T Shay Lima
new. Lettered "Mississippi Railway"
to Gammill Lumber Co. #5, Pelahatchie, MS, on 4-10-12; to Apollonia Lumber
Co. #5, Pelahatchie, MS, on 2-23-21; to Pearl River Valley Lumber Co. #5,
Canton, MS, in 2-1929. Scrapped 9-1937.