Unknown gauge, wood rail
Mill Location: Sandersville, MS (Jones County)
Mill Capacity: 12,000 ft/day
Years of Operation: Ca1886-1900
Miles Operated: unk
Locomotives Owned: 1
Click Map for Larger Version
by Gil Hoffman:
When the New Orleans & Northeastern Railroad came through
Sandersville, about 1884, the Lindsey family moved there from Claiborn,
Miss. (near Heidelberg). In Sandersville John Lindsey established a yellow
pine sawmill that cut 12,000 feet per day. The plant also included a planing
mill. Sometime after 1890 a wood rail tram road was built to log this mill.
In 1898 John Lindsey patented his famous Lindsey 8-wheel log wagon and went
to Buckatunna, Miss., in search of ash lumber. His younger brother, Dr. S.
W. Lindsey, a dentist, then operated the Sandersville mill on a royalty
basis. Unfortunately the venture at Buckatunna was a failure and the mill at
Sandersville burned in 1900.
In 1901 the brothers moved to Laurel where they established the Lindsey
Wagon Company in the northern outskirts of town, near the plant of the
Kingston Lumber Company from which they purchased a tract of land.