by Gil Hoffman:
Legan & McClure Lumber Company was incorporated at Louisville, Winston
County, on March 13, 1920 by George W. Legan, of Morton; J. M. Legan, of
Morton; Jeff Kent, of Forest; R. G. Brown, of Morton; Bessie E. Kent, of
Forest, and Mrs. Nola Legan, of Morton, with authorized capital stock of
$300,000. On April 1, 1920 the company bought the assets of the Estes Lumber
Company, at Estes, Winston County, for $200,000. This purchase included the
sawmill, railroad and timber holdings comprising some 15,000 acres of
shortleaf pine in Winston County. Another tract of timber was purchased from
the Sumter Lumber Company, of Electric Mills, MS. Stockholders of the
company were, to a great extent, also stockholders in the Hall & Legan
Lumber Company, of Morton, MS, and the South Arkansas Lumber Company, of St.
Louis, MO. George W. Legan was president and general manager. The sawmill
had a cutting capacity of 85,000 feet per day.
company went into receivership and on April 6, 1931 its assets were sold to
the Lamiss Lumber Company, a Louisiana corporation. In May 1932 the Lamiss
mill was taken over by the J. M. Griffin Lumber Company which had just cut
out at Holopaw, Florida. The Griffin operation specialized in pine timbers,
special cuttings and rough and dressed finish.
from JR Phillips, 1-9-2000: Legan & McClure Mill at Estes had one camp
about half way to the end of the railroad where the rod engines were turned,
and another camp where timber was being cut near Nanih Waiya (sp.?) Creek,
known as Nanih Waiya camp. Company operated two log trains per day to mill.
Locomotive servicing facilities were located on east side of GM&N at
Estes, and mill and log pond were on the west side. J.M. Griffin operated
mill at Estes, Miss. 1932-1935. Remaining tract of timber sold to D.L. Fair
Lbr. Co., who contemplated extending railroad from Louisville, but deemed
too expensive. Track left in place from Estes to woods until it was removed
in 1936. Timber was eventually trucked to mill at Louisville.
|ROSTER by David S Price, Tony Howe
and Gil Hoffman:
11-1912 orig-Colon Monroe #42 (or 49, GHH), Brooksville, FL; to E. J. Roux,
Brooksville, FL; to Suwannee Pine Co., Trilby, FL;
SI&E #1000; to Estes Lumber Co. #1 at Estes, MS lettered “E.
L. Co. #1" on 12/1/15 for $4,200 = $1,100, their 18ton Shay allowed
$1,000 in trade, and $2,100 in 14 months at 5%. (SI&E data card in
DSP collection); to Legan
& McClure Lbr. Co.#1, Estes, MS, on 4-1-20; to Lamiss Lbr. Co. ,
Estes, MS, on 4-6-31 (SI&E 1996 list; GHH)
12-1908 orig ordered by Geo. M. Dilley & Son (D) for Saner-Whiteman Lbr.
Co. #5, Caro, TX; BR&L
#1162; Big Sandy Lbr. Co. #5, Hull, AL on 8-18-1917; BR&L “Rumley”;
to Legan & McClure Lbr. Co., Estes, MS on 8- 25-1920; to Lamiss Lbr.
Co., Estes, Miss. on 4-6-31 (GHH, BR&L 1996 revised list; Koch Shay
book adds “scrapped in 1935")
-1911 Built as F. V. B. Price & Co. #1, Pinebur, MS; to Legan &
McClure Lbr. Co. #3, Estes, Miss., in 8-1920; to Lamiss Lumber Co., Estes,
Miss., on 4-6-31.
4 New York
??? Purchased secondhand. Possibly GM&N #8(DAH); Sold to Southern
Iron & Equipment Co. #2000, Atlanta, GA, in 1924. (GHH)
2-1884 orig-New York West Shore & Buffalo #145; to Buffalo, Rochester
& Pittsburg #145, in 8-1887, renumb. #67; SI&E #1478; to
Batesville & Southwestern #10, Batesville, MS on 7/14/19 (or 9-24-19
GHH); returned 9/13/24 as SI&E
#1990; to Legan & McLure Lbr. Co., Estes, MS on 10/8/24 for $3,200 =
$800 cash and six notes; to Lamiss Lbr. Co., Estes, Miss., on 4-6-31. (GHH,
SI&E data card in DSP collection, and 1996 SI&E List says engine
8-1919 orig-Sewell Valley RR #6, Rainelle, WVa; to C & O #2900, in
7-1927; to BR&L  & GC&L #670 joint account; to Legan
& McClure Lbr. Co. #?, Estes, MS on 3-13-1930, cost $4575;
BR&L #1776; to Winnsboro Granite Co. (Rockton & Rion Ry.
#2900), Rockton, SC on 5-9-33 (GHH data card; BR&L 1996 revised list; GC&L 1996
list) Baldwin class 12-30¼ E 47
According to Emery Swetman, retired GM&N engineer, a former GM&N
0-6-0 #8was sold to Legan & McClure Lbr. Co. (DAH, from GM&OHS
News, Issue #20? 1979)