original Learned sawmill was built at Natchez by Peter Little in 1825. In
1828 this mill was bought by Andrew Brown. From that time, until the mill
closed in the 1960's, the operation remained in the same family. The firm
was known as "Andrew Brown & Son" until 1850, the as
"Andrew Brown" until 1865 when Rufus Learned came into the
business. R. F. Learned was the step-son of Andrew Brown and married his
daughter. From 1871 until 1904 the business went by the name "R. F.
Learned;" then in 1904 it became "R. F. Learned & Son."
In 1910 the sawmill was of the band type with a cutting capacity of 30,000
feet per day.
logging railroad appears to date from 1886, two years after the installation
of the original bandmill by the company. In April 1886 the company placed an
ad in the Northwestern Lumberman wanting to purchase a new or used
logging railroad outfit.
company operated a logging railroad in Louisiana, as well.