Kingston & Central Mississippi Railway

36" Gauge

Headquarters: Laurel, MS (Jones County)

Years of Operation: 1901-1902

Successor Road: Mobile Jackson & Kansas City

Miles Operated: 25

Locomotives Owned: 5

Equipment: 

5 locomotives, 2 passenger cars, 1 baggage car, 22 freight cars

 

 

Click Map for Larger Version

History by Gil Hoffman:

About 1899-1900 the Kingston Lumber Company, of Laurel, built 25 miles of 36-inch gauge railroad from Laurel to Bay Springs, Jasper County. 

The Kingston & Central Mississippi Railway was chartered in Mississippi on March 5, 1901 and purchased the Kingston Lumber Company's 25 miles of 36-inch gauge railroad on September 1, 1901 in return for $15,000 of capital stock per mile. L. L. Denson, of Bay Springs, was president of the railroad, and F. W. Pettibone, of Laurel, was treasurer and general manager. In 1901 the line owned 5 locomotives, 2 passenger cars, 1 baggage car and 22 freight cars. 

On June 30, 1902 the roadbed, right-of-way, etc. were sold to the Mobile, Jackson & Kansas City Railroad. MJ&KC shut down the railroad at the end of 1902, removed the track, and used the grade to build standard gauge track in January 1904. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS           

 

 

 

For more information contact Tony Howe at howe6818@bellsouth.net or David S. Price at dsprice46@bellsouth.net