Hooks & Gallagher

Standard gauge, 25-lb rail

Headquarters

Mill Location: Hickory, MS (Newton County)

Mill Capacity: 0,000 ft/day 

Years of Operation: 1910-?

Miles Operated: 6.5 miles

Locomotives Owned: 1

Other Equipment:

 

 

Click Map for Larger Version

History by Gil Hoffman:

On June 1, 1910 E. J. Gallagher purchased around 1,520 acres of timber from the Ingram-Day Lumber Company for $13,500. This timber was about five miles north of Hickory, Newton County. About the same time W. B. Hooks, of Forest, Miss., leased the sawmill formerly belonging to Joe K. McInnis, at Hickory, Miss. Hooks and Gallagher then formed a partnership to operate the old McInnis mill using the former Ingram-Day timber. Hooks also owned a mill, known as the Haddon Mill, 7 miles northeast of Forest, Scott County.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ROSTER by Gil Hoffman: 

273                0-4-4F         Rhode Island                  858           6-1880      45     12x16                 44000

                      Purchased from Lamar Lumber Co., Clyde, MS.

                      On hand by 1-1912.

                      Built as Manhattan Ry. #273 (a 2-4-2T), rebuilt by Manhattan Ry. in 11-1887 to 0-4-4F; to Birmingham Rail &          Locomotive Co., Birmingham, AL, on 5-16-03; to                                  Williamsburg Lumber Co., Collins, MS, in 1903; to Lamar Lumber Co., Clyde, MS.

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS           

 

 

For more information contact Tony Howe at tonyhowe76@yahoo.com or David S. Price at dsprice46@bellsouth.net