36" gauge, 40-lb rail
Mill Location: Harmonica, MS (Simpson County)
Mill Capacity: 0,000 ft/day
Years of Operation: 1903-1908
Miles Operated: 1.5 miles in 1903
Locomotives Owned: 1 known
Click Map for Larger Version
by Gil Hoffman:
June 29, 1903 C. W. Robinson purchased a 30 acres mill site on the north
side of the Gulf & Ship Island Railroad about midway between Magee and
Weathersby, Simpson County. That same year, operating under the name
"Harman Lumber Company," Robinson built a yellow pine sawmill on
this site and began sawing longleaf yellow pine lumber.
operation was incorporated on March 16, 1906 at Magee, Simpson County, as
the Harmonic Lumber Company by C. W. Robinson, J. V. Fain, J. C. Slay, G. G.
Autrey and Frank B. Ryan with authorized capital stock of $30,000. C. W.
Robinson sold the Harman mill, railroad and timber holdings to the Harmonic
Lumber Company on April 3, 1906 for $28,390.
September 1908 the mill cut out and was dismantled with the locomotive and
log cars reportedly being moved to the Robinson mill at Nicholson, Pearl
River County. The Harmonic mill site was sold on May 7, 1909 to Bert C.
W. Robinson was born in North Vernon, Indiana in 1853. He came to the South
in 1884 and was one of the founders of the First National Bank of Meridian,
Mississippi, where he served as cashier for several years. While cashier he
became interested in the lumber industry in Mississippi. In 1902 he moved to
New Orleans where he established the headquarters of the Robinson Lumber
Company. He was active in the lumber business until about 1913 when his sons
Robert J. and Mark H. Robinson took over. He died in New Orleans on April
23, 1915 at age 62.
|ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:
Purchased from Kilby Locomotive & Machine Works,
Anniston, AL, on 11-24-03.
To Harmonic Lumber Co., on 4-3-06.
Reportedly transferred to C. W. Robinson mill at Nicholson, MS,