Dupont Lumber Co. (1916-1921)

Gulf Pine Lumber Co. (1921-1927)

Standard gauge, 35-lb rail

Headquarters: Poplarville

Mill Location: Dupont, MS (Pearl River County)

Mill Capacity: 60,000 ft/day in 1922

Years of Operation: 1916-1927

Miles Operated: 4 miles in 1926

Locomotives Owned

Equipment:

1 McGiffert log loader, 8 log cars.

Click Map for Larger Version

History by Gil Hoffman:

On March 1, 1916, Mulford Parker purchased the sawmill plant and timber holdings, amounting to 1,760 acres, of the White Cedar Pile & Pole Company (belonging to C. E. Batty), about two miles south of Poplarville, Pearl River County, for $18,000. To operate the newly acquired sawmill plant, the Dupont Lumber Company was incorporated at Poplarville on May 1, 1916, by Mulford Parker, of Ellisville; Lawrence Dupont, of Poplarville, and L. M. Noland, of Kola, with authorized capital stock of $10,000. The sawmill was of the circular type with a cutting capacity of 40,000 feet per day. Mulford Parker was president of the company and L. H. Dupont, secretary. A spur track ran northward from the mill for about 2 miles to a connection with the New Orleans & Northeastern on the south edge of Poplarville. The logging railroad was laid on the roadbed of an old dummy line of the Poplarville Saw Mill Company. 

On January 1, 1921, operations were suspended and on August 2, 1921 the company was judged bankrupt with T. C. Hannah appointed Trustee. On October 5, 1921 the assets of the company were conveyed to the First National Bank, of Hattiesburg, MS, and on October 31, 1921, resold to the Gulf Pine Lumber Company.

The Gulf Pine Lumber Company was a copartnership composed of L. H. Dupont, of Poplarville; L. M. Noland, of Kola, and S. A. Windom, of Kola. On October 31, 1921, these men purchased the plant of the bankrupt Dupont Lumber Company, at Poplarville, from the First National Bank of Hattiesburg. They also purchased a tract of longleaf yellow pine timber in Pearl River County from the Edward Hines Yellow Pine Trustees, of Lumberton. L. H. Dupont was the general manager. 

The Dupont sawmill was rebuilt and began sawing in January 1922. It was of the circular type with a cutting capacity of 60,000 feet per day, specializing in railroad and car material, shed stock and boards. The general manager was L. H. Dupont. 

The mill cut out about June 1926. On January 22, 1927, the sawmill and logging railroad were sold to C. L. Spottswood for salvage.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:

 

 

Road No.

 

Type

 

Builder

 

C.N.

 

Date

 

Cyls.

 

Dri. Dia.

 

Engine

Wt.

 

Previous Ownership

 

Disposition

 

1

 

13-2

Shay

 

Lima

 

318

 

10/1890

 

2-7x12

 

26

 

28000

 

Ellisville Lumber Co. #318, Melrose, MS

Kola Lumber Co. #318, Kola, MS

Dupont Lumber Co. #1, ca. 1916.

 

Gulf Pine Lumber Co. #318, Poplarville, MS, on 10/31/1921.

 

2

 

33-2

Shay

 

Lima

 

777

 

2/1904

 

3-10x10

 

28

 

66000

 

Built as: Kola Lumber Co. #777, Kola, MS

Diverted to Ellisville Lumber Co. #777, Melrose, MS

Kola Lumber Co. #777, Kola, MS, by 5/1914.

Dupont Lumber Co. #2, ca. 1916.

 

Gulf Pine Lumber Co. #777, Poplarville, MS, on 10/31/1921.

C. L. Spotswood #2, Poplarville, MS,

on 1/22/1927.

Scrapped 9/22/1933.

 

3

 

50-2

Shay

 

Lima

 

358

 

8/1891

 

3-12x12

 

32

 

100000

 

Emporium & Rich Valley #1 Old Dan, Emporium, PA (C. B. Howard & Co.)

Southern Iron & Equipment Co. #1298

Dupont Lumber Co. #3, on 7/13/1918. Cost $4,750. See Note.

 

Gulf Pine Lumber Co. #358, Poplarville, MS, on 10/31/1921.

 

790

 

33-2

Shay

 

Lima

 

790

 

2/1904

 

3-10x10

 

28

 

66000

 

Built as: Ellisville Lumber Co. #790, Melrose, MS

Diverted to: Kola Lumber Co. #790, Kola, MS

Gulf Pine Lumber Co. #790

 

For sale 6/1926.

Darrah Long Leaf Lumber Co. #790, Chastang, AL

Scrapped 1927.

 

1726

 

28-2

Shay

 

Lima

 

1726

 

9/1906

 

3-8x12

 

28

 

56000

 

Built as: Kaupp Lumber Co. #2, Shubuta, MS, but shipped to: West-King Lumber Co., Waynesboro, MS

Waterford Lumber Co. #3, Waynesboro, MS, in 1913.

Southern Iron & Equipment Co. #1513, on 12/10/1919.

Nortac Manufacturing Co. #1, on 1/14/1920.

Rented to Batson-McGehee Co. #1, Millard, MS,

ca. 8/1924. Returned by 4/1/1925.

Gulf Pine Lumber Co. #1726

 

For sale 6-1926.

D. L. Fair Lumber Co. #1, Louisville, MS, in 8/1928.

Changed to 36 inch gauge.

Bissell-Alabama Lumber Co. #1, Castleberry, AL, ca. 4/1930.

Changed back to standard gauge.

 

Note:    Records of the Southern Iron & Equipment Company show their No. 1298 as Mt. Penn Gravity R.R. #3 (c/n 277), but land mortgage records in the courthouse at Poplarville, MS, show that the engine delivered by Southern Iron & Equipment Company to the Dupont Lumber Company was c/n 358 see Trust Deed Record Land No. 7, p. 624.

 

 

 

 

 

                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS           

 

 

 

For more information contact Tony Howe at howe6818@bellsouth.net or David S. Price at dsprice46@bellsouth.net