36" gauge, 45-lb rail
Mill Location: Shuqualak, MS (Noxubee County)
Mill Capacity: 30,000 ft/day
Years of Operation: 1914-1927
Miles Operated: 10 miles
Click Map for Larger Version
by Gil Hoffman:
Futvoye-Paterson Company was organized in October 1914 as a co-partnership
between W. C. Futvoye and M. L. Paterson, both formerly of the Brownlee
Lumber Company, at Shubuta, MS. A yellow pine sawmill of 30,000 feet per day
cutting capacity was built just south of Shuqualak, in Noxubee County, and
placed in operation in late 1914. The plant included a dry kiln and planing
mill. The company made a specialty of dimension stock. M. L. Paterson was
July 31, 1914, 2,200 acres of timber land were purchased from J. N.
Brownlee, of Shubuta, for $70,000. This timber was south of Shuqualak and
west of the Mobile & Ohio Railroad, extending just into Kemper County.
The next large timber purchase was in January 1920 when 1,000 acres were
bought near Scooba from the Sumter Lumber Company.
June 1927 the mill shut down. In late 1929 the sawmill building and
machinery were sold to the Bissell-Alabama Lumber Company, and moved to
their operation at Castleberry, AL, and reassembled.
|ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:
Purchased from Brownlee Lumber Co. #2, Shubuta, MS, probably