Hardwood Lumber Co.
36" gauge, converted to standard gauge 1910
Mill Location: Narkeeta, MS (Lauderdale County)
Mill Capacity: 20,000 ft/day
Years of Operation: 1908-1912
Miles Operated: 5 miles
Locomotives Owned: 2
7 log cars
Click Map for Larger Version
by Gil Hoffman:
Flood-Lyons Lumber Company was incorporated at Meridian, Lauderdale County,
on October 4, 1908 by F. M. Lyons, of Shelbyville, KY; Byron Flood, of
Bagdad, Kentucky; Edwin A. Spinks, of Meridian, MS, and W. D. McBride, of
Meridian, with authorized capital stock of $25,000. A sawmill, planing mill
and dry kiln were operated in Narkeeta, on the east side of the Mobile &
Ohio Railroad, and another sawmill was also operated five miles east of
Narkeeta, near the Alabama line. The sawmills had a cutting capacity of
20,000 feet per day. Edwin Spinks was general manager of the company and
also southern representative of the American Hardwood Lumber Company, of St.
Louis, MO. The latter company's lumber yard in Meridian, managed by Spinks,
handled the output of the Flood-Lyons mill.
July 1910 Spinks filed bankruptcy, with debts totaling $25,156, of which
$10,000 was owed to the American Hardwood Lumber Company, and $7,000 to the
Citizens National Bank, of Meridian. His only assets were $5,000 in capital
stock in the Flood-Lyons Lumber Company, which was held as collateral by the
bank. As a result the Flood-Lyons mill also went into bankruptcy with W. C.
Sams appointed as Trustee. The assets were first sold to the American
Hardwood Lumber Company in late 1910, but this sale was not confirmed. On
August 14, 1912 the U. S. District Court ordered a second sale to take
place. Thus, on February 10, 1913, the Trustee, W. C. Sams, sold the
property to J. E. Tartt. This sale was confirmed.
|ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:
2T Shay Lima
Purchased secondhand, in late 1908.
as R. S. Phillips #445 "Charlie," Ellisville, MS (wood rail),
renumb . #1.
to Birmingham Rail & Locomotive Co., Birmingham, Ala.; to W. M. Carter
Lumber Co., Laurel, MS, on 8-14-12; to J. H. Bostick, Ellisville Junction,
MS, by 5-1913; to Monarch Lumber Co. #1, Monarch, MS, about 1916,
transferred to McLain, MS, in early 1919; to Long Branch Lumber Co. #1,
Tuckers Crossing, MS, on 5-4-20; to W. M. Tomlin Lumber Co. #1, Bucatunna,
MS, in 1926; to Brownlee Lumber Co. #1, Chickasaw, AL, on 12-17-28.
Class B Climax
Purchased from Birmingham Rail & Locomotive Co., Birmingham,
AL, on 1-25-10.
as Mayerhoff Brothers # ,
Arundel, MS; to Birmingham Rail & Locomotive Co.
W. C. Sams, Trustee in Bankruptcy, to J. E. Tartt #594, Narkeeta, MS, on
2-10-13, later at Akron, MS; to Southern Iron & Equipment Co. #1659,
Atlanta, Ga.; to Barr-Holaday Lumber Co., Louise, MS, on 1-22-21.
For more information contact
Tony Howe at email@example.com
or David S. Price at firstname.lastname@example.org