Headquarters: Paducah, KY
Mill Location: Houlka, MS (Chickasaw County)
Mill Capacity: ft/day
Years of Operation: 1913-1923
Miles Operated: 11 miles
Locomotives Owned: unk
Click Map for Larger Version
by Gil Hoffman:
1909 the Ferguson & Palmer Company, of Paducah, Ky., began buying
hardwood timber land in Chickasaw, Calhoun and Pontotoc counties, Miss.,
until finally they had acquired about 10,000 acres consisting mostly of
white oak. To manufacture this timber, a single band mill containing all
Filer & Stowell equipment was built on the New Orleans, Mobile &
Chicago Railroad at New Houlka, Chickasaw County. This mill began sawing on
November 15, 1913. The company had operated a hardwood mill at Paducah, Ky.,
since about 1898. The officers were: Earl Palmer, president; John K.
Ferguson, secretary; and R. S. Robertson, treasurer. Donald F. Palmer was in
charge of the New Houlka mill. In August 1916 Earl Palmer acquired the
interest of John Ferguson in the company. At that time the main office was
moved to Memphis, Tenn.
New Houlka mill cut out in late 1922 or early 1923 and was advertised for
sale in February 1923.