Mill Location: Erata, MS (Jones County)
Mill Capacity: 0,000 ft/day
Years of Operation: 1903-?
Locomotives Owned: 1
Click Map for Larger Version
by Gil Hoffman:
The Erata Lumber Company was a partnership composed of J. E. Chandler, W.
A. Gough and T. J. Burton. In June 1903 these men began buying timber around
Erata, Jones County. On December 7, 1903, Chandler sold his interest in the
partnership to Gough and Burton. This sale included the mill of the old
Erata Mill Company, at Erata, of which Chandler was the owner, and which had
been moved to Lansing, Miss. The mill was a Lane & Bodly circular type.
A new mill site was purchased at Hawkes, about a mile southwest of Erata,
and the mill moved there. On January 1, 1904, a locomotive, log cars and
steel rails were purchased from R. C. Carter, of Pachuta, and W. M. Carter,
On January 1, 1905 Gough and Burton resold their mill and logging
railroad, along with their timber holdings, to R. C. Carter for $15,000.
|ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:
2? 2T Shay Lima
26 2-7x12 28000
Purchased from R. C. Carter #2 "Ben Holmes," Pachuta, MS, on
1-1-04. Resold to R. C. Carter, Erata, MS, on 10-25-05; to Southern Lumber
& Timber Co., Hillsdale, MS.