Standard gauge, 25-lb rail
Mill Location: Coat, MS (Simpson County)
Mill Capacity: 0,000 ft/day
Years of Operation: 1902-1907
Miles Operated: 2.5 miles
Locomotives Owned: 1 known
3 log cars
Click Map for Larger Version
by Gil Hoffman:
1899 J. D. Wilkinson began purchasing timber land in the vicinity of Coat,
Simpson County (about three miles south of Magee) and by September 1900 was
operating a sawmill of 15,000 feet daily cutting capacity on the Gulf &
Ship Island Railroad, at Coat Station.
April 29, 1901 Wilkinson sold his mill and 921 acres of timber to R. A.
Campbell who, on February 25, 1902, resold the property to the Coat Lumber
Company, a partnership composed of Mrs. Christine Bridewell and R. A. Foote.
The purchase price for the mill was $1,740 and included 23 yoke of oxen and
six log wagons. The Coat mill cut longleaf yellow pine exclusively. On April
4, 1902 the Coat Lumber Company was incorporated at Coat by R. A. Foote,
Thomas Foote and K. H. Foote with authorized capital stock of $20,000. In
June 1902 the company made improvements to the mill which included a new
two-story mill shed, a new engine and boiler and installation of a dry kiln.
Mrs. Bridewell sold her interest in the mill to the company on January 2,
1903. When the company began operation, the general manager was Lee O.
Bridewell. By June 1905 John N. Stewart had become a stockholder in the
company and its president.
holdings were on the both sides of the Gulf & Ship Island, near enough
so that logging was done with oxen. In the summer of 1905 a logging railroad
was constructed to reach timber owned east of the G&SI.
June 1907 the mill cut out and closed. On August 22, 1907 the mill site and
buildings were sold to J. R. Kelly, who apparently continued the operation
until about February 1910 when the mill site was sold to I. W. Walker.
report has it that about September 1908 the property was sold to the Moore-Hagerty
Lumber Company, of Hattiesburg, MS, but the deed records of Simpson County
do not show this sale.