W. M. Carter & Co.

36" gauge, 20, 25 and 30-lb rail

Headquarters: Heidelberg, MS

Mill Location: Haney, MS (Jones County)

Mill Capacity: 40,000 ft/day 

Years of Operation: 1900-1906

Miles Operated: 3

Locomotives Owned: 1


4 log cars


Click Map for Larger Version

History by Gil Hoffman:

On January 19, 1900 W. M. Carter & Company, composed of W. M. Carter and his wife, M. A. Carter, purchased the sawmill and logging equipment of J. E. Parker, on the New Orleans & Northeastern at Haney's Spur, about a mile and a half northeast of Sandersville. The price was $4,000. Operations were then moved to this mill from the old Carter mill at Sandersville. In the summer of 1901 a new sawmill with a daily cutting capacity of 40,000 feet, planing mill and dry kilns were built on the site of the old Parker mill.

In late 1906 the company moved to Laurel where a mill was built one mile south of town and operated under the name W. M. Carter Lumber Company.



















ROSTER by Gil Hoffman: 


16   2T Shay    Lima 348      4-1891      26      2-7x12      26000

Purchased from Haskins Williams & Co., Birmingham, AL (dealer), on 7-23-98. Built as C. C. Gibson & Son #1, Magnolia, MS; to Haskins Williams & Co. Transferred to Haney, MS, in early 1900. Sold to H. C. Fonde, Boice, MS; to American Supply Co., Mobile, AL; to C. C. Vaughn, Malcolm, AL, on 12-9-1910; to Vaughn & Wright, Walker Springs, AL; to Glendon Lumber Co., Glendon, AL, on 8-18-1913.





                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS           



For more information contact Tony Howe at tonyhowe76@yahoo.com or David S. Price at dsprice46@bellsouth.net