36" or 40" Gauge
Years of Operation: 1880-1897
Predecessor Roads: none
Successor Roads: Kansas City, Shreveport & Gulf Ry
Miles Operated: 16.50 miles
Locomotives Owned: 4 in 1896
Click Map for Larger Version
HISTORY by Tony Howe:
The Calcasieu Vernon & Shreveport Railway was incorporated on June 5,
1880. It completed 16.50 miles of railroad from Lockport, La. to Edgewood,
La. by January 1, 1897. The railroad was jointly owned by two large sawmills
in Lockport: Perkins & Miller Lumber Co., Ltd. and Lock, Moore & Co.
The railroad was sold to the Kansas City, Shreveport & Gulf Ry on March
29, 1897 and converted to standard gauge and later became part of the Kansas
City Southern Ry.