Bear Creek Mill Co.

Standard gauge, 45-lb rail

Headquarters: Mobile, AL

Mill Location: Leakesville, MS (Greene County)

Mill Capacity: 50,000 ft/day in 1917

Years of Operation: 1902-1919

Miles Operated: 15 miles in 1917

Equipment:

 

 

Click Map for Larger Version

History by Gil Hoffman:

The Bear Creek Mill Company was incorporated at Leakesville, Greene County, on October 26, 1908, by William H. Louisell, J. T. McKeon and Willie T. Stone, all of Mobile, AL, with authorized capital stock of $30,000. At that time the company took over the sawmill of the Leakesville Lumber Company, at Leakesville. The two companies maintained separate identities with the Leakesville Lumber Company doing the logging for the Bear Creek Mill Company. The sawmill had a cutting capacity of 50,000 feet per day in 1917. The company went out of business in 1925. 

Before incorporating at Leakesville in 1908, the Bear Creek Mill Company had operated a sawmill at Manistee, AL, under the same name.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:

  

 

Road No.

 

Type

 

Builder

 

C.N.

 

Date

 

Cyls.

 

Dri. Dia.

 

Engine

Wt.

 

Previous Ownership

 

Disposition

 

2

 

36-2

Heisler

 

Heisler

 

1150

 

1909

 

13x12

 

36

 

72000

 

New.

 

Homewood Timber Co., Uriah, AL, on 2/7/1925.

Brownlee Lumber Co. #2, Chickasaw, AL

Changed to 36" gauge.

 

4

 

2-8-0

 

Vulcan

 

2292

 

5/1914

 

15x24

 

42

 

88000

 

New. Named Tom Shepard.

 

Homewood Timber Co., Uriah, AL, on 2/7/1925.

Sipsey Valley Lumber Co. #202, Buhl, AL.

 

 

 

 

 

                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS           

 

 

 

For more information contact Tony Howe at howe6818@bellsouth.net or David S. Price at dsprice46@bellsouth.net