Bay Springs Lumber Co.

Standard gauge, 35 and 40-lb rail

Headquarters: Bay Springs, MS

Mill Location: Hamlet, MS (Jasper County)

Mill Capacity: 25,000 ft/day 

Years of Operation: 1908-1918

Miles Operated: 6.5 miles

Locomotives Owned: 1 known

Other Equipment:



Click Map for Larger Version

History by Gil Hoffman:

The first indication of activity by the Bay Springs Lumber Company was in October 1908 when it bought 80 acres of timber lying directly west of Bay Springs. L. L. Denson, of Bay Springs, was the main force behind this company. A saw mill and planing mill were built in Bay Springs on the New Orleans, Mobile & Chicago Railroad. In January 1913 the company was incorporated at Bay Springs by L. L. Denson, A. J. Dempsey and others with authorized capital stock of $20,000. On January 16, 1913 the company purchased the planing mill in Bay Springs belonging to L. L. Denson. About December 1913 the company moved its sawmill from Bays Springs to a point two miles north of town and built eight miles of logging railroad. The mill had a cutting capacity of 25,000 feet per day. The timber holdings were all to the west of the New Orleans, Mobile & Chicago Railroad, extending into Smith County. 

The remaining timber in Smith County (located in the vicinity of Sylvarena), Climax locomotive and log cars were sold to G. B. McDuff on May 14, 1918.



















ROSTER by Gil Hoffman: 

?                  Class B                 Climax                                                                         60000


                        Purchased secondhand, probably in 1913

                       Sold to G. B. McDuff, Smith County, MS, on 5-14-18.







                                     HOME                                              ABOUT  US                                              LINKS           



For more information contact Tony Howe at or David S. Price at