Bailey Brothers Lumber Co. (1904-1905)
Day Lumber & Manufacturing Co. (1905-1907)
D. C. Richardson-Taylor Lumber Co. (1907-1908)
Pearl Land & Lumber Co. (1908-1910)
A. G. Little Lumber Co. (1910-1912)
Standard gauge, -lb rail
Mill Location: Richardson, MS (Pearl River County)
Mill Capacity: 0,000 ft/day
Years of Operation: 1904-1911
Click Map for Larger Version
History by Gil Hoffman:
The Bailey Brothers Lumber Company was incorporated at Richardson, Hancock County, in 1904 with Milton A. Bailey as president. On November 26, 1904, the company bought a 39-acre mill site on the New Orleans & Northeastern at Richardson, Hancock County, and built a sawmill, planing mill and logging railroad. The assets of the company soon passed to a Louisiana company of the same name, owned by W. G. Day, of New Orleans. On May 16, 1905, the property was sold to the Day Lumber & Manufacturing Company, also owned by W. G. Day.
Day Lumber & Manufacturing Company was incorporated in Louisiana
by W. G. Day, W. L. Wright and W. L. Lind. On May 16, 1905, the company
purchased the sawmill plant, logging railroad and timber holdings of the
Bailey Brothers Lumber Company, at Richardson in Pearl River County. By
April 1906, the officers of the company had changed to: J. H. Howie,
president, and J. L. Moyse, secretary and treasurer.
On July 27, 1907, the assets were sold to H. G. Lea (or Lee). The property was sold in quick succession to J. L. Moyse & Brother on September 20, 1907, and to the D. C. Richardson-Taylor Lumber Company, of Shreveport, LA, on October 4, 1907.
On October 4, 1907, the D.
C. Richardson-Taylor Lumber Company, of Shreveport, Louisiana purchased
the property of the Day Lumber & Manufacturing Company, at
Richardson, Pearl River County, from J. L. Moyse & Brother, the price
being $250,000. The property consisted of a sawmill, planing mill, logging
railroad and rolling stock and timber in Hancock County.
On September 29,
1908, the assets were sold to the Pearl Land & Lumber Company, of
Louisiana, for $102,391 cash plus assumption of the debts of the old
company. On September 18, 1909 the Pearl Land & Lumber Company was
declared bankrupt and on December 24, 1909 its holdings were sold to Leonard
On January 1, 1910, the A.
G. Little Lumber Company, formerly of Clyde, Lamar County, purchased the
holdings of the bankrupt Pearl Land & Lumber Company, at
Richardson, Pearl River County, from J. L. Moyse & Brother. The price
was $125,000. After suit was brought against the Pearl Land & Lumber
Company, the Chancery Court of Pearl River County approved the sale on April
On January 11, 1910, the
A. G. Little Lumber Company and the Louisell Lumber Company, of Alabama,
signed an agreement to build and share a logging railroad from Richardson to
the mill of the Louisell company, to be located about eight miles northwest
On June 1, 1911, the
sawmill, planing mill and a large amount of lumber on the yard were
destroyed by fire. Rather than rebuild, on June 29, 1911 the company leased
the sawmill, railroad and equipment of the neighboring Louisell Lumber
The Little Company filed
bankruptcy in Federal Court at Biloxi, MS, on March 15, 1912. The leased
Louisell mill was sold to the newly formed Cybur Lumber Company on
April 8, 1912.
Early McGiffert log loader is lettered "DCR-T LCo"
|Bailey Bros- Day Lumber &
Mfg. Co. ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:
D. C. Richardson-Taylor Lumber-
Pearl Land & Lumber ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:
A. G. Little Lumber Co. ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:
HOME ABOUT US LINKS
For more information contact Tony Howe at firstname.lastname@example.org or David S. Price at email@example.com