Unknown gauge, probably wood rail
Mill Location: Ellisville, MS ( Jones County)
Mill Capacity: 15,000 ft/day
Years of Operation: 1886-1893
Miles Operated: unk
Locomotives Owned: probably mules or oxen
Click Map for Larger Version
by Gil Hoffman:
In March 1886 Ackenhausen & Nordman, a partnership composed of
William Ackenhausen and J. H. Nordman, built a circular sawmill on the west
side of the New Orleans & Northeastern Railroad at Ellisville, Jones
County. This mill was a Lane & Bodley make with a cutting capacity of
about 15,000 feet per day. It cut longleaf yellow pine exclusively. In
August 1888 Nordman sold his half interest to William Ackenhausen. At that
time Fred Ackenhausen, the brother of William, joined the firm, which then
became "Ackenhausen Brothers." A tram road was also built in 1888.
In 1890 the logging equipment consisted of 16 yoke of oxen, 3 log carts, and
log and lumber wagons. The Ackenhausen mill did an extensive business in
Alabama, St. Louis and New Orleans, as well as the local trade.
Land deed records suggest that about 1893, C. Ackenhausen & Company,
composed of C. Ackenhausen and J. R. Hinton, began operating the mill.