Alabama Florida & Southern Railroad (1910-1917)
Alabama Florida & Gulf Railroad (1917-1936)
Alabama & Florida Railroad (1936-1941)
Headquarters: Malone, FL
Years of Operation: 1910-1941
Predecessor Roads: E. L. Marbury Lbr. Co.
Successor Roads: none
Miles Operated: Main line
(AF&S RR): Ardilla, AL to
Malone, FL, 15.5 miles.
Main line (AF&G RR):
Cowarts, AL to Greenwood, FL, 28.811 miles.
6/30/1914: Locomotives: 2.
Cars: 1 passenger, 13 freight (1 locomotive & 12 cars leased to E. L.
Marbury Lumber Co.)
6/30/1918: Locomotives: 1.
Cars: 1 combination.
1928: Locomotives: 2. Cars: 1 passenger, 1 freight.
Click Map for Larger Version
HISTORY by Gil Hoffman:
Florida & Southern Railroad was incorporated in Alabama on August
16, 1910, and was controlled by the E. L. Marbury Lumber Company through
ownership of a majority of the capital stock. The railroad extended from
Ardilla, AL to Malone, FL, 15.5 miles, and was constructed in sections by
the E. L. Marbury Lumber Company from 1907 to August 1910.During this
period it was operated by the lumber company was a logging road. In August
1910 the Alabama, Florida & Southern acquired the line and opened it
for operation in 1911.
On November 1,
1917, the property of the Alabama, Florida & Southern was purchased by
W. S. Wilson, who transferred the property to a new company, the Alabama,
Florida & Gulf Railroad, which was incorporated in Alabama on
October 11, 1917. The new company was controlled by W. S. Wilson through
ownership of a majority of the $50,000 in capital stock.
The line of the
Alabama, Florida & Gulf extended from Cowarts, AL southeasterly to
Greenwood, FL, 28.811 miles. It connected with the Atlantic Coast Line at
Cowarts, AL. All but 2.50 miles of the old Alabama, Florida &
Southern, from near Stapleton, AL to Malone, FL, was abandoned. The line
from Cowarts to Cottonwood, AL was acquired from the Geneva Lumber Company
of Alabama, which built it about 1909. The remainder of the line, from
near Stapleton to Greenwood, FL, 15.31 miles, was built by W. S. Wilson in
The country traversed
by the Alabama, Florida & Gulf was slightly rolling. The main line was
laid with 50 and 60-lb. relay rail and was unballasted.
In 1921 the railroad
obtained permission to construct additional lines from Wilson to Dothan, AL,
4 miles, and from Greenwood to Marianna, FL, 9 miles, and for that purpose
issued $25,000 in gold bonds out of $150,000 authorized. Very little of
these extensions were actually built and the bonds were sold to the Dothan
National Bank. On June 3, 1923, the railroad was placed in receivership and
on January 4, 1926, was sold at judicial sale to J. L. Crawford, president
of the bank and an incorporator of the Alabama, Florida & Southern. The
railroad became the property of the bank on November 5, 1927.The bank went
into receivership on February 20, 1930.
The receiver of the line
attempted to sell it to the Marianna & Blountstown Railroad in October
1932 for $40,000, but the sale fell through. Although the Atlantic Coast
Line wanted the line to remain in operation, it would not buy it. In
December 1936 A. P. Leddon, who became general manager of the railroad on
February 5, 1929, and B. D. Fuller offered to buy the line for $10,000 and
In December 1936
the Alabama & Florida Railroad was organized in Alabama to take
over and operate the property of the Alabama, Florida & Gulf Railroad.
The capital stock of the new corporation was $10,000 of which 98 percent was
subscribed by A. P. Leddon. Under
agreement dated December 17, 1936, the property of the old company was
turned over to the Alabama & Florida Railroad.
On February 13,
1941, the Alabama & Florida applied to the ICC for permission to abandon
its entire line, extending from Cowarts, AL to Greenwood, FL, about 29
miles. At that time train service consisted of a diesel-powered motor coach
operated daily carrying passengers, mail, express and less-than-carload
freight. This service was supplemented by a small truck. Carload freight was
operated as required by a gasoline locomotive, capable of hauling 2 or 3
loaded cars, and by a steam locomotive for heavier loads. Truck competition
was the main reason for the failure of the line to operate at a profit.
Permission for complete abandonment was granted on October 24, 1941.
Florida & Gulf Railroad Company,” Valuation Docket No. 664, Interstate
Commerce Commission Reports, Vol. 110, p. 287-97.
& Florida Railroad Company Acquisition,” Finance Docket No. 11516, Interstate
Commerce Commission Reports, Vol. 221, p. 295-99.
& Florida Railroad Company Abandonment,” Finance Docket No. 13189, Interstate
Commerce Commission Reports, Vol. 249, p. 426-30.
AF&G 14 at Cowarts on August 10, 1935.
|ROSTER by Gil Hoffman:
HOME ABOUT US LINKS
For more information contact Tony Howe at firstname.lastname@example.org or David S. Price at email@example.com