Alabama & Mississippi
Standard Gauge, 52 lb. rail
Headquarters: Vinegar Bend, AL
Officers (1915): N. E. Turner, President; H. S. Turner, Tres.; A. R. Turner, Sec & Aud.; M. Lankford, Gen. Manager
Years of Operation: 1902-1922
Miles Operated: 1902-1915: 17.0 miles
1915-1922: 76 miles
Locomotives Owned: 7
1914- 2 locomotives, 1 combine, 1 freight car, and 1 coach
Click Map for Larger Version
|The Alabama &
Mississippi Railroad was incorporated by the owners of the Vinegar Bend
Lumber Co. on March 10, 1902, and leased the mainline of the Vinegar Bend
Lumber Co. running southwest from Vinegar Bend, Alabama. This line was
extended to Leakesville, Miss., county seat of Greene Co. later that year.
On July 1, 1915, the A&M leased the Pascagoula, Moss Point &
Northern Railroad running north from Pascagoula to Evanston, a distance of
42 miles. The gap between Leakesville and Evanston was completed just in
time for the July 1916 hurricane.
Beginning in 1916 the railroad operated at a loss and on September 7, 1920 filed a petition with the I. C. C. for abandonment of the complete line. In March 1921, before the case was heard, the U. S. District Court appointed R. V. Taylor as receiver for the railroad. On June 28, 1921, the entire line was ordered sold by the Federal Court. The northern portion from Vinegar Bend to Leakesville was leased to the Mississippi & Alabama Railroad in October 1922 and the southern portion from Pascagoula to Evanston was sold to the Mississippi Export Railroad on April 17, 1923. The central portion from Leakesville to Evanston was abandoned.
A&M's combine 200 awaiting delivery at Southern Iron & Equipment Co. in Atlanta.
A&M's depot in Leakesville still stands and is used as a feed store. This photo taken in 1996.
|Roster by Gil Hoffman:
B. & O. R.R.
from Pascagoula, Moss Point & Northern #3, on 7-1-1915.
Baltimore & Ohio #
from Pascagoula, Moss Point & Northern #4, on 7-1-1915.
as Cheaspeake, Ohio & Southwestern #46; to Newport News &
Mississippi Valley #558, in 1887; to Illinois Central #259, in 1896; to
Dunnellon Phosphate Co., Dunnellon, FL, in 1-1903; to Standard &
Hernando #5, Rockwell, FL, in 11-1903; to Georgia Car & Locomotive Co.
#65, Atlanta, GA; to Pascagoula Northern R.R. #4, Moss Point, MS, on
8-3-1909; to Pascagoula, Moss Point & Northern R.R. #4, Moss Point,
MS, on 4-30-1912.
from Vinegar Bend Lumber Co. #62, Vinegar Bend, AL.
as Mobile & Ohio #62; to Vinegar Bend Lumber Co. #62, Vinegar Bend,
AL, in 1905.
to Mississippi & Alabama R.R. #62, Leakesville, MS, in 1922.
8-30 D 90
by Vinegar Bend Lumber Co. from Southern Iron & Equipment Co. #573,
Atlanta, GA, on 3-26-1907. Cost $4,500.
as Pennsylvania R.R. #
from Camp & Hinton Co. #103, Lumberton, MS, in 1907.
boiler in 1915.
from Georgia Car & Locomotive Co. #313, Atlanta, GA, on 11-7-1916.
as Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis #24, renumb. #124 in 1915; to
Georgia Car & Locomotive Co. #313, on 8-15-1916.
from Georgia Car & Locomotive Co. #319, Atlanta, GA, on 11-3-1916.
as Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis #32, renumb. #132 in 1915; to
Georgia Car & Locomotive Co. #319, on 8-15-1916.
Note: The builders number of engine #132, as
received by the A&M, was 3691, which corresponds ot NC&StL #127.
Sometime during shopping by the NC&StL there was a boiler swap.
HOME ABOUT US LINKS
For more information contact Tony Howe at firstname.lastname@example.org or David S. Price at email@example.com
All content on Mississippi Rails website is copyrighted by us or the individual or institution noted on the image or accompanying text. Please contact us below for permission to use any image or information contained on this website. Mississippi Rails is not affiliated with any railroad.